Trustees vote to plan organic food store
The UCF Board of Trustees voted Thursday morning to move forward with creating an organic food store on campus and to rename the Math and Physics Building to the Mathematical Sciences Building.
Now that the idea of an organic food store on campus has the support of the Board of Trustees, a request for proposal will be made, and further plans will be generated.
UCF has two options for the store: lease out 11 acres of land, located at the intersection of Alafaya Trail and Centaurus Boulevard and have a company in the private sector build the store, or UCF could build the store itself and lease it out to an organic food grocer once completed.
The trustees seemed to be in favor of the first option, stating that UCF could lose money if they built the store and no one leased it out.
I think its certainly a public service and a viable idea, Vice President for Administration and Finance and Chief Financial Officer William Merck said.
Although Merck is in favor of the idea, he told the trustees that the project is certainly not a done deal, and if the idea wont produce revenue for the university, then they wont move forward with it.
The trustees also voted to rename the Math and Physics Building to the Mathematical Sciences Building, stating that the new name would better reflect the buildings use.
According to the agenda for the meeting, physics faculty and department no longer exist in the building.
The building is expected to be remodeled and renovated, a project that would cost more than $10 million, according to the five-year capital improvement plan. A timeline for the project was not provided, although it is ranked third in priority for Public Education Capital Outlay-funded projects, just under the construction of Classroom Building 2 and renovations to Engineering 1.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More Central Florida Future News Articles
Recent Central Florida Future News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR CENTRAL FLORIDA FUTURE NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST CENTRAL FLORIDA FUTURE NEWS
- Orlando bars Roxy, Bar BQ Bar, Eye Spy, Sky Sixty set to close
- Mad Hatter near UCF closes until further notice
- Summer graduations scheduled for Saturday
- Summer study abroad program caters to UCF biology students
- Arena Football: Predators are playoff bound
- UCF to get early access to Clutch Prep
- UCF camp headlined by quarterback competition
RECENT CENTRAL FLORIDA FUTURE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- ¿Pensando en la jubilación y el Seguro...
- Raising Autism Awareness for Better Lives
- Erase Strokes From Your Golf Game -- No Pencil Required
- Boomers Find Reason to Celebrate With Vacations
- Shave Strokes off Your Golf Game -- Without the Eraser
- Stay Cool With a Ceiling Fan as Stylish as It Is Functional
- Have a Blast With the Family This Summer, but Stay Safe
- Chiropractic Careers Are on the Rise
- Choosing the Right Home Health Care Agency
- Pop the Champagne Diamond for Your Seasonal Fashion...