Talented guard Newell transfers to UCF
The Oklahoma Sooners' second leading scorer, combo guard Calvin Newell, has officially transferred to UCF, the program announced on Monday.
Newell, who averaged 13 points per game in just under 20 minutes per game this season for Oklahoma, will have one-and-a-half years of eligibility remaining with the Knights after he sits out one calendar year, meaning he will begin play in a UCF uniform in December of 2012.
"Calvin is a combo guard who can come in and provide us with some immediate scoring," coach Donnie Jones said in a release. "He is a tough player and a terrific defender. Calvin fits in with our up-tempo style of play and we are excited about him joining our basketball family."
Newell, who The Tulsa World reported elected to leave Oklahoma following the loss of his mother and grandmother, chose UCF over Wake Forest, UCLA and Maryland, and also cancelled all other visits after touring campus in early December.
The talented combo guard was in attendance during Saturday's important victory over Old Dominion, an NCAA Tournament team from a season ago, and UCF Athletics has also reported that Newell took part in his first practice as a Knight on Monday. Newell is enrolled for the spring semester at UCF.
The transfer is just another addition to what is becoming a deep backcourt for the 2012-2013 season. Marcus Jordan will be in his senior season with the program, Isaiah Sykes will be a junior and the Knights have also got another transfer currently practicing with the team and eligible to play next season in former Bethune-Cookman guard C.J. Reed.
Together, with the addition of Newell, UCF looks to have a very deep and potentially potent backcourt for at least the next season or two. The Philadelphia native will be a senior when the program makes the move to the Big East for the 2013-2014 season.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More Central Florida Future News Articles
Recent Central Florida Future News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR CENTRAL FLORIDA FUTURE NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST CENTRAL FLORIDA FUTURE NEWS
- Orlando bars Roxy, Bar BQ Bar, Eye Spy, Sky Sixty set to close
- Mad Hatter near UCF closes until further notice
- Summer graduations scheduled for Saturday
- Summer study abroad program caters to UCF biology students
- Arena Football: Predators are playoff bound
- UCF to get early access to Clutch Prep
- UCF camp headlined by quarterback competition
RECENT CENTRAL FLORIDA FUTURE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- ¿Pensando en la jubilación y el Seguro...
- Raising Autism Awareness for Better Lives
- Erase Strokes From Your Golf Game -- No Pencil Required
- Boomers Find Reason to Celebrate With Vacations
- Shave Strokes off Your Golf Game -- Without the Eraser
- Stay Cool With a Ceiling Fan as Stylish as It Is Functional
- Have a Blast With the Family This Summer, but Stay Safe
- Chiropractic Careers Are on the Rise
- Choosing the Right Home Health Care Agency
- Pop the Champagne Diamond for Your Seasonal Fashion...