UMass downs Knights in final minute
The men's soccer team suffered a heartbreaker to Massachusetts when Tyler Cleverdon scored with just 41 seconds remaining in regulation to lift the Minutemen (1-1-2) to a 2-1 victory Friday.
The Knights (3-2-0) have dropped two of their last three games after Cleverdon headed a crossing pass into the top right corner of the net for his first career goal to give UMass its first win of the season.
"We played well in spurts," head coach Bryan Cunningham said in a release. "It is disappointing to lose a game like this and give up two goals like we did."
After a scoreless first half, the Knights briefly took the lead in the 53rd minute. Sophomore midfielder Nicholas Keown-Robson corralled a pass from Warren Creavalle after sneaking behind the UMass defense and gave UCF a 1-0 lead by burying his breakaway opportunity.
Robson has been on a scoring tear in the early part of the season leading the Knights with four goals and three assists through five games.
The Minutemen rallied to tie the game at one just a minute and a half later when a header from freshman Brett Canepa found the back of the net. Both UMass goals were scored the same way: Headers from inside the box off of long crossing passes that goalkeeper Shawn Doyle had no chance to stop.
Doyle did make four saves in the game, and has been stellar in net all season allowing just three goals in five games this year.
The Knights will try to get back on track Sunday when they travel to West Point, N.Y., to take on Army.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More Central Florida Future News Articles
Recent Central Florida Future News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR CENTRAL FLORIDA FUTURE NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST CENTRAL FLORIDA FUTURE NEWS
- Summer graduations scheduled for Saturday
- Summer study abroad program caters to UCF biology students
- Arena Football: Predators are playoff bound
- UCF to get early access to Clutch Prep
- UCF camp headlined by quarterback competition
- UCF Knights look to harness more solar energy
- Thieves swipe cash with card skimming near UCF
RECENT CENTRAL FLORIDA FUTURE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Raising Autism Awareness for Better Lives
- Erase Strokes From Your Golf Game -- No Pencil Required
- Boomers Find Reason to Celebrate With Vacations
- Shave Strokes off Your Golf Game -- Without the Eraser
- Stay Cool With a Ceiling Fan as Stylish as It Is Functional
- Have a Blast With the Family This Summer, but Stay Safe
- Chiropractic Careers Are on the Rise
- Choosing the Right Home Health Care Agency
- Pop the Champagne Diamond for Your Seasonal Fashion...
- Managing Pain: Are You Reading Your Medicine Labels?