The Croke Park Classic is just days away. For those of us staying in the states, here are some Irish-inspired recipes to help us celebrate as we watch the game from the comfort of our homes.
The game is scheduled for 8:30 a.m. so you might be wondering about breakfast options. You can try an Irish breakfast along with an Irish Coffee.
Time: 15 mins
» Thick-sliced bacon (as much as you choose)
» 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
Eggs (as many as you choose)
» 2 small tomatoes, sliced
» 1 to 2 cups whole mushrooms
» Irish Soda bread or biscuits (Soda bread is often only carried as a seasonal product)
- Place bacon slices in a single layer in a large skillet. Fry on both sides over medium heat until browned to your taste. Once done, put the bacon on paper towels to drain, but save the grease left in the pan.
- In a separate pan, melt butter to make the eggs. Cook the eggs until the whites are no longer runny
- Simultaneously place tomato slices, mushrooms and bread into the pan you made the bacon in. Fry gently, stirring mushrooms and tomatoes occasionally. Keep everything separate. Turn bread over to brown on both sides.
- When the mixture has fried, dish half of everything onto each of 2 warmed plates and serve immediately.
» 4 scoops of coffee
» 1 1/2 ounces Irish whiskey
» 1 ounce cream
» 1 to 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- Heat the coffee, whiskey and sugar in a stove-top pan. Do not boil.
- Pour mixture into a mug and top with cream.
Like pancakes for breakfast instead? Make green pancakes with this recipe!
Mint Chocolate Chip Pancakes
Time: 30 mins
» 2 cups Bisquick
» 1 cup milk
» 2 eggs
» Butter or oil (1 to 2 tbsp for frying the pancakes)
» 3/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
» 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
» 3 to 4 drops green food coloring
» 1/2 teaspoon mint extract
» Whipped cream (optional)
» Vanilla ice cream (optional)
»Hot fudge sauce
- Mix Bisquick, milk and eggs in a medium bowl.
- When blended, add vanilla, mint, chocolate chips and food coloring..
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add 1/2 tablespoon butter; it should sizzle and melt almost immediately. Pour in a little less than 1/4 cup of pancake batter into skillet for each pancake.
- Serve warm with whipped cream, vanilla ice cream and hot fudge sauce.
And for dinner...
Easy Shepherd's Pie
» 1 package Simply Potatoes traditional refrigerated mashed potatoes
» 1 pound ground beef (can substitute ground turkey as a lighter option)
» 2 cups cheddar cheese
» 1 bag of steam-in-the-bag mixed vegetables
» 1 can cream of mushroom soup
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Brown ground beef or turkey meat in a pan on top of stove at medium heat. Drain grease.
3. Follow microwaving directions on mashed potatoes package. This should take between three and four minutes.
4. Follow microwaving direction on vegetables.
5. In an oven-safe casserole dish, line the bottom with the ground meat and the cream of mushroom soup. Drizzle a few tablespoons of cheese and then add the vegetables on top. On top of the veggies, add the mashed potatoes and top off with cheese.
6. Heat in the oven for 15 minutes.