UCF Campus MovieFest winners announced
After walking the red carpet, four teams of UCF student filmmakers are moving on to the Grand Finale of the Campus MovieFest.
CMF is "the world's largest student film festival," and this year marks its 10th time coming to UCF with sponsorship from the Campus Activities Board, according to a CMF press release.
Earlier this month, contestants were given access to film equipment and editing software and then had only one week to cast, direct, cut and edit their films before the submission deadline. Students were competing to win prizes such as subscriptions to film editing software, exposure at some of the world's most famous film festivals and various other rewards valued at more than $100,000.
A total of 16 teams submitted films, which premiered during an evening showing in the Pegasus Ballroom on Thursday, Feb. 18.
The top four film winners received Jury Awards, which come with a 12-month Adobe Creative Cloud subscription valued at $600, a special invitation to attend and screen their films at the CMF Grand Finale and the 2016 Cannes Film Festival in France. The student films also have the opportunity to be shown in-flight on Virgin America airlines and on the Shorts HD cable channel.
The following list appears in the CMF press release:
This year, UCF's top winners are:
- “The Curious Case of Jeff Jefferson” by Julian Anthony Kazenas’s Crew
- “Prison Please” by Peanutmovies
- “Joyride” by Black Key Productions
- “Life, Inc.” by Manly Filmdays
Other honors of the night included:
- Best Actor – Austin Davis in “The Curious Case of Jeff Jefferson” by Julian Anthony Kazenas’s Crew
- Best Actress – Dylan Curtis in “SlashHER” by SlashHER Productions
- Best Production Design – “Borrowed Time” by Our Team Name
- Best Story – “Life, Inc.” by Manly Filmdays
- Best Special Effects – “Red Alert” by Foreigners
The top four teams will be competing against student films from more than 30 other universities at the finale in June.
To see the winning films before the festival or to get more information about CMF, visit campusmoviefest.com.
Deanna Ferrante is a Digital Producer for the Central Florida Future. Follow her on Twitter at @deannaferrante or email her at DeannaF@centralfloridafuture.com.