SGA Live Blog: 06/09/2016
UCF's Student Government Association holds public, weekly senate meetings in the Student Union's Key West ballroom every Thursday at 7 p.m. during the spring and fall semesters. For the summer 2016 semester, SGA's Senate will convene at 7 p.m. on May 26, June 9 and 23, every Thursday in July and August 4.
You can keep up to date on today's proceedings with the live blog below.
SGA Senate meeting is called to order at 8: 01 p.m
Routine roll call is performed.
Some announcements from newly elected SGA president Christopher Clemente:
1. Applications for a graphic designer and senate seats have been reopened and are due June 28. At this time, 26 Senate seats are currently open and 36 senate seats are filled.
2. Twelve more bikes have been purchased for the Bike share program.
3. Plans are underway to provide a busing service for students interested in early voting.
SGA leadership seminar is to take place Friday.
SGA is on a caucus break and will readjourn in 15 minutes.
SGA readjourned at 8:23 p.m.
FAO announces that it has elected Paige Fitzsimmons as its new vice chair this week.
There are plans to create an informational meeting for RSO that will inform them of any new policies and instruct them on how to use the new online bill process.
SGA has gone on a caucus break again and will readjourn at a later time.
SGA readjourns the Senate meeting.
Ryan Garwood announces that OR, (Operations Review committee), will have elections two weeks from now.
Garwood announces that Resolution 48-28 was adopted in their caucus meeting. Resolution 48-28 has some changes to the Fiscal probation policy for RSOs who receive funding from SGA.
Changes for ORC Fiscal Probation Policy:
1. RSOs who revert 20 percent or more of their senate allocation will be placed on Fiscal probation for one calendar year, as opposed to the original 10 percent.
2. RSOs who receive two or more funding sanctions with one calendar year, or receive funding sanctions in consecutive years, will be required to attend an educational workshop hosted by the President Pro Tempore's office.
3. RSOs that are subject to a Funding Sanction will have their funding levels reduced by 15 percent for a reversion of funds that is greater or equal to 20 percent but less than 50 percent, and 30 percent for any reversion greater than or equal to 50 percent.
GAC did not hit quorum necessary to have a caucus meeting. In their next meeting, they will be discussing student affairs after conducting a student poll to designed to find out if and what concerns they might have.
Nicholas Larkins is officially confirmed as the new Chief of Staff. Rachel Cohen is confirmed as the new Deputy Chief of Staff.
Andre Ong is confirmed as the new SGA comptroller.
Joshua Winograd presents his pitch for the position of Attorney General. His major goals include transparency and consistency. "I really want to be there for students as much as possible," Winograd said.
Senator Scott Benton comments on his perception of UCF's student conduct system, saying that it is a "very corrupt system that has hurt so many students and organizations since the last three years I've been here."
Kevin Young presents his pitch for the position of SGA's Special Projects Manager.
"DPT Amber Mariano endorses Kevin Young. "He's proven time and time again that he's really here for the students and will reflect Chris and Rachel's platform [...] so I highly urge you all to vote for him," Mariano said.
Joshua Winograd is officially confirmed as SGA's new Attorney General.
Senator Scott Benton has been appointed for the position of Athletics Specialist. Benton is presenting his pitch to the SGA Senate.
Senator Williams endorsed Scott Benton for the position, saying that "He really is one of the most passionate senators I've ever met, and if he really wants to get the job done, he won't stop until it's done."
With a vote count of 24-0-1, Scott Benton is officially confirmed for the position of Athletics Specialist.
Jeff Strange is officially confirmed for the position of Legislative Affairs coordinator.
Gabby Baquero is the News Editor for the Central Florida Future. Follow her on Twitter at @Gabby_Baquero or email her at MariaB@centralfloridafuture.com